Regular dental checkups are essential for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. The American Dental Association recommends a visit to the dentist at least once a year, but making an appointment once in six months prevents a host of oral related problems.
Prevention is the hallmark of modern dentistry. This can be done in many forms like encouraging patients to brush and floss, eating a healthy diet, use fluoridated toothpaste, mouthwashes, etc… In the dental office, prevention typically takes the form of a semi-annual examination and dental prophylaxis (or “prophy” if you want to use the cool lingo, which involves a professional cleaning of your teeth), known as “The Check Up” or a “Six Month Recall”.
The basic components of every 6 month visit consists of:
- Reviewing and updating your dental and medical history
- Blood pressure screening
- Oral Cancer screening
- Examination of teeth and gums to check for cavities or other infections.
- Radiographic examination – digital x-rays are the standard of care. Routine x-rays do not pose a health risk to the patient. Research and science has demonstrated this. We show and explain to patients exactly what we see.
- We also do some specialized examinations for patients with dentures or implants, retainers, Invisalign, night guards etc…
- Oral prophylaxis: a full mouth professional cleaning followed by polishing of your teeth and some oral hygiene instructions.
- During the appointment, the dentist will review all the findings and x-rays, make any necessary diagnoses and make recommendation for treatment.
Reasons why you should visit every 6 months:
- PREVENT PLAQUE: Plaque is a sticky deposit that clings to your teeth and gum line and is full of harmful bacteria. When plaque builds up it causes discoloration of the teeth, tooth decay and gum problems. Visiting a dentist every six months can leave your teeth clean and healthy and prevent these complications.
- PREVENT TOOTH DECAY: Dentists can quickly diagnose tooth decay. When the cavities are small, they are very easy to fix. By delaying your visit, smaller cavities will enlarge and eventually lead to Root Canal Treatment, Crowns and even loss of your teeth. This involves more treatment, chairside time, and costs.
- STOP GUM DISEASE: Dentists can stop the first sign of gum disease before it becomes a serious complication. If left untreated it could cause pain, swelling, bone loss, shaky teeth, and eventually loss of teeth.
- SAVE MONEY: Identifying oral problems early saves you more in costs associates with dental treatment in the long run. Regular care and maintenance of your teeth reduces the chances of you developing complicated conditions.
- IMPROVE YOUR SMILE: We have a number of treatments available during your routine checkups that would whiten, brighten, straighten and clean your teeth to give you that million dollar smile!
Remember, prevention is better than cure!
Contact our dental clinic to learn exactly what happens during a biannual exam and how it can help your smile. Call us today to schedule your next appointment!